Monday, October 26, 2009

Hiding God's Word

I want my kids to know the Bible! One of the greatest benefits of attending Christian school while growing up is that I learned a lot of scripture. At the time, I'm sure I didn't appreciate it. It was more homework. I remember times in High School when I would leave that verse (or passage) to the very last minute, cramming it in last thing Thursday night or even before school on Friday morning. But let me tell you ... God's Word is living and active! I REMEMBER those verses. Throughout my life, I have had the blessing of recalling scripture when I need it most.

Now, Greg and I want to pass this gift along to our children. Because we are SUPER busy all the time, we've looked for some help in this area -- and we found it! On Sunday evenings, all 3 attend AWANAS at the local International Baptist Church. And they are ALL learning verses weekly. We try to familiarize ourselves with the verses on Monday and then review daily. On Sunday afternoon, we kick it into high gear and make sure Ashley, Lexi and Shane are ready to recite the verses to their leaders. And I've decided to memorize the verses along with them. Ashley thinks it is cool that I learned 4 verses in one week (I had to admit, it was all reveiw for me), but I also told her she will be doing the same thing as she continues to get better at memory work.

Of all the things we fill our brains with on a daily basis, this is by far the most important! I encourage you to help your children hide God's precious Word in their hearts ... and to memorize scripture yourself. What a difference it will make in your life.

1 comment:

The Bowden's said...

Hi Conli! We do the same with Neeley. It is so important to start them young! :)