Friday, April 30, 2010

"Growing Old Together" ... not so bad!


The other day, Greg and I took the bikes out of storage, put air in the tires, donned our helmets and headed out for a lunch time bike ride! (Yep, we look like dorks, but what fun!!!) It was a spring day, my favorite time of year in Germany (really, anywhere) and with a friend watching Shane, it was AWESOME to have some time alone together ... even if we were gasping for breath and pedaling furiously uphill most of the time!!!!

As we rode along, I started thinking about the fact that it doesn't really feel like we're getting older. In fact, when it comes to Greg and me -- it really just feels like we keep getting BETTER! Honestly, after 11 years of marriage, we're more in love than the day we married (even though we thought that wasn't possible at the time). We're more comfortable with one another and more assured of the strength of our bond (or maybe its that we are more assured of God's faithfulness to be our strength when we are weak!) Its a great place to be and I imagine it will continue to get better as the years pass by. Not a bad thought at all!

Truth is: even if I could, I wouldn't go back to the early days of our marriage. I like where we are now! It has more to do with my own growth and maturing than with Gregs (Even though I LOVE what God has done in his life ... and he gets better looking by the day!!!!). I dealt with some pretty hefty insecurities in my mid to late 20s. Today, I'm more secure in the Lord and with myself. I am aware of what God has done to turn around my ability to over-analyze EVERYTHING, worry needlessly and probably drive my husband crazy! I'm thankful for the calm I usually feel (ok, Greg, maybe NOT at 6 am in the RyanAir terminal when 3 children are crying and our passports didn't get stamped appropriately ...). I have learned NOT to place unfair expectations on Greg. I continue to learn to place my hope, trust, self-worth, future, etc in the Hands of the All-capable Father, instead of burdening my husband with the "job" of fulfilling my every need.

So, all to say, I'm enjoying growing older ... especially with my amazing husband at my side ... and 3 great kids, who make me smile and laugh every day. I'm truly blessed and thankful for the life we have together, the ministry HE has given us and the opportunities ahead. (You guys remind me of this when the big 4-0 rolls around a few months from now.)

Oh, and, by the way, our bike ride was invigorating but short-lived the other day. My gears and tires were not co-operating. Eventually, we gave up and enjoyed lunch overlooking the vineyards. AMAZING!!!!!! Thanks, Greg, for a wonderful date lunch! Growing old with you is the best thing ever.

No comments: